Thursday 3 January 2008

Companion Cube

As soon as I completed Portal, the first thing that came to mind was obviously, 'I must make a Companion Cube'. Somehow, this totally inanimate object has captured the hearts of every gamer I know (and I know a lot of them!). So I immediately set to working out patterns for it - with the main hindrance that I can't felt anything because I'm allergic to animal fibers. So I found some cheapish yarn to experiment with, and knitted and ripped and crocheted and ripped and so on until I got something I liked. This one is a mixture of knitting and crochet - knitting for the main piece, crochet to add the dimensions. I know it's missing the central 'bumps' - that's coming in the next revision, and it's a little rounded, but it's very smooshy and I keep having to pat down my friends as they leave my flat because they keep attempting to smuggle it out. That's a sure sign of success to me ;-) I'll put the pattern up as soon as I've got it right :-) I tried doing a knitted flat one - so I can give out the chart for that, but I didn't like it not having the dimensionality of the cube itself. So here you are - some really crappy pictures - will get better ones as soon as photographer boy stops playing Guitar Hero ...








Hope you like ... will post updates as it's revised....

1 comment:

Sade said...

no pattern yet?